Also known as Secretary Appreciation Day, Admin Day and Receptionist’s Day, businesses dedicate this day to the employees who make office life easier and more efficient.
Everybody wants to be appreciated for the work they do and many consider these employees to be the most important people in the organization. Their contribution, from front desk receptionist to the secretaries and bookkeepers who keep the office humming, is to make the executive look good so it is important to recognize and appreciate their efforts.
Although the entire third week of April is devoted to making administrative professionals feel special, April 23, 2014 is the official day to honor your office employees. Just ten minutes of planning now could pay off with a year of good feelings. Here are a few ideas to help make your Administrative Professional feel special.
Gift-Giving on Administrative Professionals Day
The desire to seem original and thoughtful may actually impede your efforts to recognize your secretary or assistant’s work on Administrative Professionals Day. Over-thinking the gift leaves many with nothing to give on the day itself. Keep in mind that support staff are not focusing on the gift as much as the meaning behind your thoughtfulness. Meanings and messages can include:
- Indications you’ve been paying attention to their work
- Encouragement for taking initiative
- Acknowledgment that the job is secure and the assistant has a career path ahead
Gifts and recognition are appropriate on Administrative Professionals Day even if youhave had minor squabbles with your assistant. A certain give-and-take is fair in any business relationship and, in fact, the gift may provide an opportunity to clear the air, reassuring the individual that there are no hard feelings and that you value their opinions.
Appropriate Gifts for Administrative Professionals Day
Flowers? Lunch? Again? Many business owners and supervisors may be concerned about giving their assistants the same presents as last year.
Executives looking to make a bigger impact can consider:
- Recognition of Professional Status: Membership in the International Association of Administrative Professionals currently costs $138 per year. The IAAP holds conferences, educational and networking opportunities as well as creates a newsletter that discusses challenges and opportunities faced by administrative professionals.
- Provide training opportunities for administrative staff through continuing education, self-study materials or seminars.
- Low Cost Custom Plaques, Trophies and Recognition Awards: Customizable trophies, plaques, crystals, paperweights and clocks give you room to engrave something specific about the administrative assistant’s contribution to the business. Whether you use four lines or forty characters, you can easily say what you feel. Here are a few engravings to consider:
On a Plaque: “Top Notch Administrative Assistant: Thanks for making the boss look good”
Trophy: “2014 Employee of the Year – thanks for your dedication”
Crystal Paperweight: “Thank you to my best right hand”
- Consider their Comfort: An ergonomic keyboard or mouse sends the message that you recognize your assistant is working hard (and repetitively). Hang a landscape poster or framed print placed twenty feet away with the typical optometrist’s encouragement of “look 20 feet away, every 20 minutes for 20 seconds” to prevent eye strain. Your concern will touch the assistant deeply.
- An Office Escape: Take the administrative assistant with you on client calls so he or she can see to whom she’s speaking with on the phone. This familiarity will help with customer service as well.
Get Top Administrative Professionals’ Day Recognition at Crown
Make your assistant feel proud to support you! Crown Awards makes it easy to get your “right hand” the recognition he or she deserves on Administrative Professionals Day. Award leader for over thirty years, Crown has the variety of Administrative Professionals Day medals, plaques and crystals to show you’ve been watching, listening, admiring and even forgiving. With SAME DAY SHIPPING and 24 HOUR TURNAROUND (on web orders placed by 4:00 PM EST) on many awards, we can even help those whohave waited until the last minute. Feel free to connect with us through our Facebook page or blog feed. Call 800-542-6044 with questions any time.